The Board consists of between 16 and 25 trustees, who serve voluntarily and come from a wide range of personal and professional backgrounds. As well as representing various segments of the community, Trustees provide policy direction to the Society’s senior management team, which is responsible for overseeing day-to-day operations at the Calgary Zoo.
Specific responsibilities of the Board include:
• Reviewing/approving the Zoo’s mission and strategic goals.
• Reviewing/approving the Zoo’s operating and capital budgets.
• Assessing major initiatives to ensure they align with the Zoo’s long-term objectives.
• Evaluating the organization’s performance.
• Assessing organizational risks and ensuring they are managed effectively.
• Assisting in fundraising efforts.
• Providing oversight, guidance and support for the President and Chief Executive Officer.
• Evaluating the performance and determining compensation for the President and Chief Executive Officer.